So tell me. How far can I walk on my own at night? How many metres, exactly, can I walk unaccompanied without having to fear for my life?
How many drinks am I, an adult woman, allowed to have after work on Friday night before being dismissed as a “party girl” or “asking for it”? How high can my heels be, and how short a skirt can I wear, before being implicated in any crime against me? And, just so that I’m clear, how many metres can I walk to get myself home?
And if something happened to me, how harshly would I be judged? If I vanished on that walk to my front door, what would you have to say about me? Would I be tut-tutted at for not accepting the offer of an escort home? Would idiots take to Facebook to admonish me for supposedly leading some guy on?
Would do-gooders and commentators and Twitterati-types take my parents to task for not raising me to act sensibly? Would they lambast my friends and lovers for not taking adequate care of me? Would everyone in my life suffer because I exceeded my allocated metres of solo walking?
Would every media outlet in the country view my disappearance as an opportunity to point out that, as it happens, women have more to fear in our world than men?
Would you, quietly, at the back of your mind, think that if I’d just stayed home with my partner, like a good wife and woman, none of this would have happened to me?
Are you just looking for one big, smug fucking excuse to say that you told me so?
And just so that we’re absolutely fucking clear, how many metres am I allowed to walk on my own at night?
- magicalriotgrrrl reblogged this from creepyrenaissancejesus
- highonawesome likes this
- the-mra-mediator reblogged this from fen1994
- crinkledvines likes this
- toalwaysbeme likes this
- tea-tren likes this
- puffpopcorn reblogged this from minevras
- minevras reblogged this from czarinna
- allthatremainsislauren likes this
- sammiesamsamm reblogged this from yesixicana
- laninaseria likes this
- yanettramirez likes this
- exponiendomiserfeminista likes this
- buddhag likes this
- yesixicana reblogged this from caffeinatedfeminist
- starsofjasmine reblogged this from clashofthekhaleesi
- aliaranel reblogged this from dontusethewaffles
- kay-the-strange likes this
- dontusethewaffles reblogged this from superkhrys
- superkhrys reblogged this from iloveeverythingwaytoomuch
- wendyalice reblogged this from iloveeverythingwaytoomuch
- iloveeverythingwaytoomuch reblogged this from becauseiamawoman
- missfrancesjane likes this
- hamstealy reblogged this from expended
- hamstealy likes this
- theloversneedtocleartheroad reblogged this from expended
- thesadnesswillkillme reblogged this from emiphobia
- otakuspirit reblogged this from hermitsunited5
- otakuspirit likes this
- hermitsunited5 reblogged this from holytoledoldawg
- holytoledoldawg reblogged this from backfromthedeadred
- chriscolfermadepubertyhisbitch reblogged this from mysocksthinkitstuesday
- mysocksthinkitstuesday reblogged this from huffley6
- puppied reblogged this from anotherfeminist
- holywinchestersbatman reblogged this from movingpaintedpictures
- theforwardviolet reblogged this from sexular
- shibbeh likes this
- woodstock401 reblogged this from amber-the-moe-blogger
- chocostarfish likes this
- selfdestructiveblitz reblogged this from anotherfeminist
- baudelairies likes this
- liberalreader reblogged this from emiphobia
- dontworry-justbreath reblogged this from emiphobia
- smerte likes this
- yzmavocado reblogged this from onebytwobythreebyme
- onebytwobythreebyme reblogged this from serendipitousnerd
- punky-p reblogged this from queennubian
- ramblingrooster likes this
- themulattokat reblogged this from katniss-everbeans
- katniss-everbeans reblogged this from darkjez